Patrick
Patrick, Barrister
Experience:  Cambridge University, Chartered Arbitrator, Barrister and Attorney
12563940

Can we legally collect driftwood from the beach?

Customer Question

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Patrick replied 8 years ago.
Dear Customer,
Which beach?
Expert:  Patrick replied 8 years ago.
Dear Customer,

It depends which beach you are on. If you are on a public beach and the drift wood is less than 10 yards from the water you can collect drift wood to the best of my knowledge unless the wood is considered an endangered or otherwise restricted item, it most likely isn't as I'm sure your local paper would have covered that at some point. Usually all beaches are in fact public, only the access to the beach can be private and therefore you could have to trespass in order to get to the beach from land.

10 yards would be a safe bet to collect anything from sanded glass, shells, driftwood or non-endangered sea creatures if you wish. You can eyeball the 10 yard measurement from the high tide mark as well.

Regardless, if someone tried to prosecute you for this it would take hundreds of hours of work unless a statute law gets passed that prohibits it. So go ahead if you wish but be mindful that laws change.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask another question, otherwise press accept and leave feedback.

Best Wishes,
Patrick