Tom Denning
Tom Denning, Advocate
Experience:  Law degree (LL.B), Diploma in Legal Practice (LPC)
12419382

how long does it take to have a british citizenship if u get

Customer Question

how long does it take to have a british citizenship if u get married to an english person ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Tom Denning replied 8 years ago.
Ignore my request for info, that was a mistake.

If you are married to a British person you are eligible for naturalisation as a British citizen, and may be granted a certificate of naturalisation by the Secretary of State.       

There are seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:                   

* you are aged 18 or over; and
    * you are of sound mind; and
    * you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
    * you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
    * you are of good character; and
    * you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and
    * you meet the residential requirements; or
    * your husband, wife or civil partner is in Crown or designated service outside the United Kingdom.

Also, residential requirements apply:     

* have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
    * have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
    * have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
    * have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
    * have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

So this means you may become a citizen within 3 years of marriage if no complications arise.

Hope this helps,

TD
Thank you for accepting my advice. If you are happy with it, could you please leave me feedback.

Best wishes,

TD