Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have been living in the uk since 2006-2008 legally and

Customer Question

Hi.. I have been living in the uk since 2006-2008 legally and from 2008 April - present day illegally... How are my chances of applying for the UK passport
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't contacted anyone
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 29 days ago.

Do you have any family in the UK and, if so, what is their immigration status in the UK?

Tom

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I don't have any family in the UK, my sister isliving illegally in the UK... Rest of my family is in South Africa
Expert:  Thomas replied 29 days ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, the rules changed in this regard a while back.

Where you have a mix of legal residence and non-legal residence you can only apply after you have now reached 20 years in the UK.

The old rules whereby you could apply after 14 years have been abolished.

I am really sorry but under the current circumstances you would have to wait until you reach 20 years in the UK in order to apply for indefinite leave to remain. You would then have to wait 5 years from the date that you attain ILR and then apply to naturalise subject to the naturalisation eligibility criteria at the time.

This will remain the case unless and until your personal circumstances change (eg, by getting in to a relationship with someone, marriage or having a child).

I really am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 26 days ago.

Hi

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom