Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My daughter was approved for a student visa to study in the

Customer Question

My daughter was approved for a student visa to study in the UK. Unfortunately, weeks after the approval, the visa wasn't sent in time for her to have to leave. We had to get a new passport. After countless phone calls and emails, I have confirmation that the visa is being delivered. The problem is that she has a new passport, which won't have the visa stamp. She is already in the UK with her new passport. How does she go about getting the student visa activated and what do we do about the passport issue.
Thank you.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

do you have the visa now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have the visa now. It is stamped in her old passport. She traveled to UK with a new passport.

Ok thats great. I am delighted that it has been resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, it's not resolved. the issue is that she has her current passport, which she used to enter the UK. She has finally been returned her old passport with the student visa stamp. The question was how does she go about getting the student visa activated in the UK. She didn't enter with and now she has a different passport.

I see. She can’t transfer her visa to your new passport. Instead, she’ll need to apply for a biometric residence permit (this is quite common and usually nothing to worry about). A BRP is a separate document and will replace the visa she had in her old passport.

How you apply for a BRP depends on her visa status.

She has permission to stay in the UK temporarily (‘leave to remain’)

She can transfer her visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘transfer of conditions’ (TOC).

Use this for to apply - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-visa-to-biometric-residence-permit-form-toc

I hope this helps and please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Can you please rate POSITIVE for the answers which I have provided. Happy to assist further. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will be happy to rate once I know this answer works! We are still working on it.

OK