Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am writing to establish whether I can pass on my British

Customer Question

I am writing to establish whether I can pass on my British Nationality to my children both of whom were born in Jordan.I am a British citizen born in Jordan on 27/2/1983. My mother is British otherwise by decent as she was born in the UK to two British parents.
My father is also British but acquired his nationality by naturalisation as he worked as physician in the UK.My parents were married at the time of my birth and I have a British birth certificate.
While I spent a lot of time in the UK as a minor, I have not been settled in UK
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no
JA: Has anyone consulted a lawyer yet? If so, what country is the lawyer in?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am writing to establish whether I can pass on my British Nationality to my children both of whom were born in Jordan.I am a British citizen born in Jordan on 27/2/1983. My mother is British otherwise by decent as she was born in the UK to two British parents.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

At any time during your life, have you lived in the UK for 3 years without leaving the UK for more than 270 days within the particular three year period?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello,No I haven't
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Okay.

Will you live in the UK for three years with the children and their father at any time before the child is 17?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I realise that if I live there with the children for 3 years they will be eligible. This is evident in the passport application guidelines.
My questions is more to do with any possibilities that are not clearly evident
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Obviously, your children are not automatically eligible for UK citizenship because you are already a UK citizen by descent.

This means that the only way that they could apply for citizenship would be if they were able to register under the British natilnality Act.

There are two ways that this is done, the first would be if you had spent three years in the UK without leaving for 270 days. This is not an option.

The other way would be if you now lived in the UK with them for three years without leaving for more than 270 days. You could then register them as UK citizens under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981 and, once registered, apply for their passport.

These are the only options. They are disclosed on the passport forms, because they are the law and the government has a responsibility to disclose such rights.

I am sorry I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom