INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My wife came to the uk in 1960 with a British Guyana

Customer Question

My wife came to the uk in 1960 with a British Guyana passport which stated she was a British subject. Olive married me in 1981 - I am a British subject. She has 7 children, all with a British status. I am presently getting conflicting advice from uk gov. One manager stated that Olive automatically qualified as a British citizen wef 31.12.1982. Another person from uk gov stated that Olive would have been offered.
citizenship in 1966. Olive was totally unaware of any such offer.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: My wife came to the uk in 1960 with a British Guyana passport which stated she was a British subject. I am a British subject with a uk passport. Olive has 7 children, 23 grandchildren and 7 great grans - all uk citizens. I am trying to get Olive's naturalization sorted out. At the moment I am getting conflicting advice from uk gov: one manager states that Olive automatically qualified for British status wef 31.12.82 - another manager stated that because Olive was offered uk status in 1966 which was not taken up, the offer would have been revoked. Olive is definitely unaware of any such offer and to assume it had been declined is totally ludicrous. Can you offer any advice?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Her Mother, who died in the year 2000 came to the UK probably around 1955 had a British passport valid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 11 months ago.

Has she lived in the UK all this time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Since 1960 Olive has lived in the u k permanently
Expert:  INC replied 11 months ago.

As a British Subject, Olive would be entitled to a UK Passport but would still be subject to immigration controls.

A person may be able to register as a British citizen if they are a British national and can prove that you don’t have any other citizenship or nationality.

You’ll need to be a:

• British Overseas Citizen
  • British Protected Person
  • British Subject
  • British National (Overseas)

You’ll get citizenship ‘by descent’ if your application is successful.

You may be able to register as a British citizen if you hold any form of British Nationality and either:

• you’ve lived in the UK for at least 5 years - and spent no more than 450 days abroad during that time, and no more than 90 days abroad in the last 12 months
  • you’ve worked in Crown service at any time

You’ll get citizenship ‘otherwise than by descent’ if your application is successful. Your children can also be British citizens.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,