EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

If I was to make an argument what article could be under if

Customer Question

if I was to make an argument what article could be under if I wanted to remain in the uk after my visa would finish could it be freedom of movement under the ECHR ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,According to the standing interpretation of freedom of movement, it does not apply to those who need a visa, only to EU citizens. There is, indeed, a right to freedom of movement in the European Convention on Human Rights, but as things stand, it is applied as being within the bounds set by every state, i.e. their visa policy.At current law, the only two arguments which can be brought for an overstay of visa are:-> extenuating circumstances, such as an accident or an illness, which would either prevent you physically from requesting an emergency extension, or provide compassionate grounds to remain; or-> applying for asylum, which means that your application would have to be processed with you being there.I hope that my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad