Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am an Irish national - I have a Republic of Ireland passport

Customer Question

Hi, I am an Irish national - I have a Republic of Ireland passport and a South African husband. We lived in SA before coming here to the UK this week. He is on an EEA family permit visa and we are preparing to apply for a residents card for him. Do I need to apply for a residents card too? Although I have been in and out of the U.K. Over the last 20 years, I do own property here and am self employed. Please advise
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No can you recommend someone
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: No I just want to know whether I need to do anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 months ago.
1. Ireland and Great Britain have maintained a free travel area since 1922, when the state of Ireland came into existence. As part of this agreement, citizens of either country can live in the other country without any restriction. So there is no need to apply for a residence card in the UK. The only reason you would ever apply for a residence card in the UK is if you wanted to take out UK citizenship after five years lawful residence in the UK. Then your UK residence card can be evidence that you have been living in the UK for this period of time. However, if you only wish to retain your Irish citizenship, there is no need to get a residence card. The law does not provide for Irish citizens to need anything to live in the UK.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.