Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

In 2013 i traveled from the US to the UK to visit my

Customer Question

In 2013 i traveled from the US to the UK to visit my sister, who is a British citizen. I was traveling on a South African passport and did not know that i would need a visa for the UK. When i arrived at Heathrow, i was turned around and sent back to the US.
Since then, i have become a US citizen and have another trip, coming up Monday (the dates are pretty immovable since it is for my nephew's wedding). This week i found out that if I have ever been denied entry to the UK, i must have a visa, even if i am an American citizen. There is not enough time to get a visa processed before my scheduled departure Monday. My sister says that her Member of Parliament will stand surety for me if needed. Shall i go ahead with the trip, or will this just compound my problems?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I did the logical thing and rang UK Visas & Immigration.The hard part was actually finding the number in the first place because it’s not easily available. I spoke to a very helpful lady, Charlotte, who said that you don’t want to be messing around with any of that. They have a process for exactly this. You ring UK Visas Entry Clearance from the United States for which the complete string of numbers is 0044 1243 2133 87 and they will arrange for you to get a stamp in your passport at the airport of departure (which presumably you know) which will then forestall any difficulties that you have when you get to the UK. She said that they are open from 7am to 4pm EST How does that sound? Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit from my time today. The thread does not close, it stays open even though you may get the impression it closes it does not, and we can still exchange any emails about this which you wish. Kind regards
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.
Can I assist you any further with this?When you get a moment, could you please rate my answer service positively so that I get credit for my time. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly.Thank you.