Maverick, Advocate
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience

It is my boyfriend in Florida. He was arrested 12th Dec 2015.

Customer Question

It is my boyfriend in Florida. He was arrested 12th Dec 2015. Mar 24th he was fined $16000 and was in prison for a few days until he paid the fine. He is planning to come to UK for a month next week. Will he have problems entering UK
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thank you for the additional information. Please hang tight until I close the other question you posted that is a duplicate of this one and then I will be back.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….ANSWER: The United Kingdom has a concept of "SPENT" CONVICTIONS and UK immigration officers wishing to exclude someone on the basis of a USA criminal conviction must prove that the offence is not spent and therefore the person is not rehabilitated. A conviction is considered "spent" if about 5 years have passed since imprisonment for any imprisonments of less than 6 months or fines. The immigration officer wishing to refuse entry on the basis of a criminal conviction must prove that your boyfriend's convictions have not as such been "spent". The burden of proof is on them, not your boyfriend. That said, given the recency of the fines and jail time and the amount of the fine, there is a strong possibility that he may be denied entry to the UK. You may want to consider visiting him in the USA. Sorry, I know this is not what you wanted to hear; but I am assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional answer.