Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience

Its regarding marrying my partner who is a overstayer of 17

Customer Question

Hi.. its regarding marrying my partner who is a overstayer of 17 years
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have been together 2 and a half years we have a 7 month old baby and he has been a active father figure to my other 2 children
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still waiting for a reply
Expert:  Yvonne Stevens replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for contacting me. The fact that your partner is an overstayer does not mean you cannot apply to marry in the UK. You can apply to marry your partner by applying to the local register office (if that is where you are intending to marry) or church. Once you make enquires, the Registrar can refer the case to the Home Office to inform them of your intention to marry. If the Home Office does not think it is a genuine marriage, then they will investigate further and you will not be able to marry until they have carried out their investigation. They have up to 70 days to investigate, which can include visiting your home or requiring you both to attend an interview to establish the genuineness of the relationship. If they are satisfied then you can proceed to go ahead with the marriage. You will then need to apply for your partner to remain in the UK on the basis of your marriage/relationship and children. If the Home Office believes it is a sham marriage then they will take immigration enforcement action where appropriate against your or your partner. I hope this helps you.

Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Just to add to the above.

Whilst you can indeed marry here your partner will need to go abroad to apply for a spouse visa

There is no basis on which he could make such an applictaion successfully from the Uk