Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am currently on Tier 2 visa sponsored by my employer (my

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently on Tier 2 visa sponsored by my employer (my BRP is valid until 2020). I have been let go with a one month notice. I have a couple of questions:
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: 1. Do I get a grace period to get a new job with an employer who can sponsor my tier 2 visa. If yes, how long is the grace period?2. When does the grace period start? After the completion of my 1 month notice period (since I'll still be an employee of my current company by then) or right away?
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: If I get a job and apply for the visa just before the end of grace period, would I be able to stay back until my application is processed? Also, would I be able to travel outside UK?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. At the outset, you have a 60 days grace period from the date of curtailment of your employment within which to apply for a change of employer or else to leave the UK. The date of curtailment is taken to be the date upon which your employment ceases. Accordingly, the 60 day grace period does not run right away but starts upon completion of your one month notice period with your employer. Additionally, so long as your file a notice of change of employer within the 60 day grace period, you can remain in the UK until that application is decided upon. However, during this period when your 60 grace period has expired but your change of employer application has not been decided, you will not be able to travel outside the UK, as you will not get back in as you don't have a valid visa. You merely can stay within the UK. However, during the 60 day grace period you can travel outside THE UK. However, during the 60 day grace period you will be able to travel outside the UK as you will have a valid visa for re-entry.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will not receive any payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.