Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have received my indefinite leave to remain in uk a couple

Customer Question

I have received my indefinite leave to remain in uk a couple of months back. I am a medical doctor and was on TIER 2 visa for the past five years. My wife and two kids are still on the TIER 2 dependant visa which is going to expire in the mid of 2017. I am going to leave the hospital which sponsored my TIER 2 in the next couple of months. My question is that can my wife and kids continue to live until mid 2017 on the TIER 2 dependant visa once I resign from the current sponsoring hospital or do I have to apply for their ILR once I leave the current sponsoring hospital? In other words would their current TIER 2 dependant visa expire when I resign from this hospital which sponsored me?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Here, your wife and two kids need to make a fresh application for permanent residency and indefinite leave to remain based on your new status as having indefinite leave to remain. Once you resign your Tier 2 sponsoring employment, your wife and two kids would only have 28 days grace within which they would have to leave the country. AFter that time period, they would become overstayers. This is because their visa status is dependent upon your maintaining your Tier 2 visa. Once the Tier 2 visa ceases, then they must either leave the country or else, apply for a fresh visa. However, if they do nothing, the become overstayers and liable to deportation.