Irfan
Irfan, Immigration Consultant
Experience:  Registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)
12254607

I am on a Tier 2 General visa as a US lawyer working UK law

Customer Question

I am on a Tier 2 General visa as a US lawyer working for a UK law firm. I have been on that visa for 2 years. My plan is to apply for ILR in three more years as soon as I qualify. I am thinking of switching jobs to a different company. My questions are: (1) Can I switch employers under my visa? (2) If I can switch, does this "re-start" the visa clock and therefore will I need to wait longer before obtaining ILR? (3) Is there a limit to how many times you can switch employers under a Tier 2 visa?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Irfan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

You can work for a new firm and will therefore need to submit a new Tier 2 application with the CoS that will be provided to you by the new employer. Unfortunately you cannot work for a new employer using your current Tier 2 visa as this is sponsored by your current firm. If you do switch to a new employer, your 5 year qualifying period for permanent residency will not re-start thus you can combine your time in the UK with different employers under the Tier 2 category.

There is no limit to the number of your employers you can work for. Please note a new employer will need to advertise the role you are looking to fill in order to demonstrate that they are not displacing a resident worker.

I hope this helps and look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards,

Irfan

Expert:  Irfan replied 1 year ago.

Just a quick follow up on your question; if you do have any further queries or are satisfied with my answer please do provide me with your feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Irfan