Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My husband and I were legally married in Pakistan. I became

Customer Question

My husband and I were legally married in Pakistan. I became pregnant during his last visit. he returned to the UK where he was apparently studying under a student visa. He then has called and written to say that he does not want anything to do with me or our child. He says he has married someone else in the UK and they too have a baby. I am OK with divorce but I want him to pay something for the care of our son. I am in Karachi.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

There are many things that you can do to seek maintenance from him. I attach herewith an article which will assist in providing you with a lot of information - I would suggest that you consider this first and then I would be delighted to answer any questions http://www.dawsoncornwell.com/en/documents/Stranded_spouses.pdf

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

If he has married someone else in the Uk whilst still married to you then that marriage is bigamous and he has committed a criminal offence - something you may wish to make him aware of.

I note that you are happy for there to be a divorce. If you instruct solicitors to issue the divorce proceedings in the UK then you will be able to apply for both Child and Spouse maintenance as part of the financial settlement within the divorce proceedings

If you prefer to deal with the divorce in Pakistan then you can simply make an application to the UK courts for Child Maintenance

I hope that thesis of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If the child is not in England and is with me still can the court make him support child?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Yes the Court can and Will - and you can use the courts to enforce the order if he refuses to pay

I had rather got the impression that he proposed to marry someone else and had not married them yet - is that correct?