Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

I am an Indian national in the UK and I have reason to

Customer Question

I am an Indian national in the UK and I have reason to believe that the UAE may have an international warrant out for my arrest (for the reason of having insufficient funds to cover a security check). I am staying put and weighing out my options, including
working with a lawyer to resolve the case in the UAE. My passport has run out of pages and if I go to the Indian embassy in UK to get a fresh passport, will I be apprehended and handed over to the UAE authorities? Thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 1 year ago.

Hi I do not think you need be concerned. First it is not a matter for the Indian authorities. If the UAE wants to try you for an offence they will have to seek extradition from an UK court . Secondly there has been a decision of the UK courts that check offences are not sufficient grounds for extradition as it is not necessarily an offence involving dishonesty and extradition to the UAE has been refused for check offences.