Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I hold a maltese passport. I have lived and worked in the

Customer Question

I hold a maltese passport. I have lived and worked in the U.K. since 1975. I have been married since 1983 to a UK citizen with a U.K. Passport I have two children who were both born in the u.k. and have UK passports. Am I able to apply for a UK passport and still also have my maltese one? and if so, how do I go about it
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.As a Maltese citizen you are an EEA national. This means that you would be considered to have “permanent residence” in the UK after working here for a period of 5 years. On this basis you would probably be regarded to have obtained PR a considerable time ago. However, you can apply to have this confirmed if you wish (although technically there is no legal requirement to do so) by applying for confirmation:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr In order to obtain a UK passport you would have to naturalise. The requirements for this are on the following page if you are married to a UK citizen:https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen Please note the residential requirement on the naturalisation link above.Basically, because the application fee is high for naturalisation (£1005) but low for PR (£65) it would probably be prudent to apply for PR first so that you only lose £65 if make a mistake and the application is rejected. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my Maltese Passport has a stamp saying I am a permanent residence. I travel regularly and have never had any trouble with immigration
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, If you already have PR then you can apply for naturalisation straight away. I would suggest having a consultation with a local immigration solicitor by taking your passport and asking them to confirm that you do have PR just to be safe though.Tom