UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Howard, I am on Tier 2 ICT visa since June 2014. My wife

Customer Question

Hi Howard,
I am on Tier 2 ICT visa since June 2014. My wife has Tier 2 ICT dependent visa. Can my wife switch from Tier 2 ICT dependent to Tier 2 General Visa while in the UK?
Thanks,
Amit
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today. How long has your ICT visa been issued for? Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I (and my wife) came in the UK in June 2014. We have two more years of visa (until June 2017). I can further have 2 more years of extension (maybe until June 2019). My wife is on tier 2 ICT dependant and we want to know if tier2 ICT long term dependant can be converted into tier2 General (my office may sponser visa if switch from tier2 ICT long term dependant to tier2 General is possible)Thanks,
Amit
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately , you are unable to switch to a Tier 2 visa if you are already in the UK on a Tier 2 ICT dependent visa category. The only time where a dependent can switch to a Tier 2 general visa is if the dependent is in the UK as a Tier 4 dependent.
The only option for you wife would be to return to her home country and then reapply to come to the UK as a Tier 2 general applicant, but she may need to serve a 12 months grace period if she was to return home and reapply as a Tier 2 general applicant.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards