Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
13262538

I am a U.S. citizen and my fiancée holds both a UK

Customer Question

Hello, I am a U.S. citizen and my fiancée holds both a UK and Irish passport as she was born in Northern Ireland. She is currently here in the US and is planning to return to Northern Ireland soon. I would like to come with her and immigrate to Northern
Ireland. Can you tell me if we were to marry here in the US could we then file for me to come to Ireland as her spouse and also what are the requirements of both my spouse and I to be eligible to have me immigrate as her spouse? Also, would it be better to
apply as fiancées or spouses? What are the restrictions we would have placed on us. Is it possible that I come to Northern Ireland on a tourist visa and then we marry in the UK then adjust my visa status to begin the process of applying for permanent residency?
Thank you
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income does your fiancee have?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She currently has none since se quit her job to be with me in the US and she has very little in savings
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
If you come to the UK on a Tourist Visa and get married here then you will have to return to the States to apply for a Spouse Visa.
Whether you apply as a fiance or as a spouse the rules are the same.
there are strict financial requirements and your partner will need to show a regular income of more than £18,600
The rules are here
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
Please ask if you need further details
Clare