UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am a Tanzanian i have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode on my old e

Customer Question

Hi, i am a Tanzanian i have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode on my old expired passport which was obtained as my wife is British and also same for my 1 of 3 children. the stamp clearly states that its valid till the expiry of the passport. the old passport picture page is cut but the page on which this certificate is stuck is not. can i still use it.
my other 2 kids have Tanzanian and British but as my country does not allow dual nationality, the british passport is kept in uk but they too have the certificate of entitlement in their tanzanian passport issued in 2005 and their passports have expired as well and have new tanzanian passports. for these 2 kids, the british high commission said that british passport holders can't anymore get certificate of entitlement post 2005 due to law changes & neither can they get a visa on the TZ passport. they must use the british passport but we cant do that as we live here as tanzanians
i need to explain more but no more space
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Could you please confirm what your question is?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) I am a Tanzanian i have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode on my old expired passport which was obtained as my wife is British and also same for my 1 of 3 children. the stamp clearly states that its valid till the expiry of the passport. the old passport picture page is cut but the page on which this certificate is stuck is not. can i still use it along with my new Tanzanian passport?2) My other 2 kids have Tanzanian and British but as my country does not allow dual nationality, the british passport is kept in uk but they too have the certificate of entitlement in their tanzanian passport issued in 2005 and their passports have expired as well and have new tanzanian passports. for these 2 kids, the british high commission said that british passport holders can't anymore get certificate of entitlement post 2005 due to law changes & neither can they get a visa on the TZ passport. they must use the british passport but we cant do that as we live here as tanzanians not british. Is there any legal stamp that can be put in the Tanzanian Passport for travel to UK as the britsh high commission here say the certificate of entitlement is no longer issue to british citizens holding another countries pasport. if there is, how can i obtain it.
Regards,
Nitesh
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I apologise for the delay in responding.
1. No unfortunately not, as you correctly stated the certificate of entitlement will only be valid up to the expiry date of the passport it was issued in, now that you have a new passport you would need to apply for the certificate of entitlement again to allow you to travel.
2. I believe that in respect of the children the best way to travel to the UK would be for them to be sent the British passport and travel using this passport only. They should not show the authorities that they have a Tanzanian passport and only show the British Passport, as their Tanzanian passport has expired they should state that we now have British Passport and wish to travel to the UK, they would need someone to send their passports to Tanzanian for them to travel.
Unfortunately there is not stamp that can be endorsed on their passport for them to travel.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards