How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sole Representative Visa

This answer was rated:

Hi Tom, I represent a US-based company that is looking to place an employee in the UK to better serve their existing UK clients (as well as those in Europe and the Middle East) and, potentially, secure new clients. It looks like this employee meets all the criteria. However, I have three specific questions that, so far, I have been unable get answered by UK BA. I'm hoping you can help! 1) It's stated that the US company must "establish a commercial presence for the company in this country in the form of either a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary." What, exactly, constitutes a "registered branch"? Could a residential address be used for this purpose? The employee in question would be able to conduct the company's business from her residence, supporting clients by phone, e-mail and Web-connection -- as well as face-to-face meetings at the clients' sites. Also, what is the fee to register a branch? 2) What documentation, specifically, would the company need to provide to confirm the scope and nature of its business in the UK and/or Europe and the Middle East? Profit/loss statement? Articles of incorporation? Letters of confirmation from UK clients? How intrusive is this? 3) The fee to apply for this visa for the employee is 459 BP. The employee is married and will be moving with her spouse. As I understand it, he would be covered under the same visa. Would a separate application fee apply to him as well? Any light you can shed on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

1. Please refer to the following guide, which includes the application fee:

You would register a UK Establishment (UK Branch) and you can register a business at a home address.

2. Please refer to the following page:

I also strongly recommend that you read the following internal guidance notes:

The key is to demonstrate that the business is active and trading, the prospective sole representative's employment history and position with the Company (payslips and supporting letter) and the objectives of opening the Branch. A letter from a senior member of the Company ideally mentioned in articles of incorporation is often helpful, along with the items you have mentioned, although having UK Clients is not a requirement as your intention might simply be the development of a business into the UK.

3. The employee's dependants need to make applications at the same time and are included on the same form and they should expect to pay the same application fee.

Once you have read the linked information please feel free to ask any further questions that you may have. These applications are often made more complicated than they need to be - the Home Office are simply wanting to see that a suitably senior employee of an established trading Company is being sent to the UK to develop the business there.
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.



Thank you for your prompt and on point answers to my questions. The information you have provided and referenced is extremely helpful and strongly suggests that a sole representative visa is likely to be granted -- though I realize there are never any guarantees with something like this.





JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.