How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi- I am looking to apply for citizenship to the UK through

This answer was rated:


I am looking to apply for citizenship to the UK through my mother under S.4c of the British Nationality Act 1983. I believe I am eligible.

I have two questions: Does it matter that I don't live there now, or haven't lived there

As i understand it, I have to fill out the paperwork, and at some point I will need a representative registered with teh IOSC. Is there a best way to go about this? I know you aren't allowed to recommend specific companies, but any guidance on what to look for and avoid would be helpful.

for example, I talking to, and they want to charge me 350 quid to do a "status" trace to tell me if I am eligible. I've already gotten my mother, grandmother, and grandfather's birthd certificates, so I dont' understand what they are going to research.............but if there is something I don't understand, I'd rather pay and get it right.

Thanks very much

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

There is no residence requirement in order for you to be eligible under s4c of the British Nationality Act. This means that you do not have to have lived in the UK in order to be eligible and, actually, most applicants under this section have not ever lived in the UK up to the point at which they apply.

Details on how you can apply are available on the following guidance notes made available on the UKBA website-

The form itself is available here:-

There is no strict requirement for you to see an OISC immigration adviser provided you are able to deal with the application/referees etc yourself. You are free to make the application yourself .

If you wish for an agent to deal with the application (drafting the application and collate the supporting evidence and deal with any requisitions made) then I would instruct either an OISC adviser or solicitor but if you are happy to deal with it yourself there is no actual prerequisite to instruct an OISC adviser.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kindly rate my answer if you are satisfied with the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi--thanks again.


Can I ask one quick follow up. If I fill out the paperwork and make a mistake, can I just re-file, or do I wind up in a complicated, expensive appeals process?


In all probability they would reject the application and retain the fee, unless it ws very minor in which case the may simply raise a requisition. I would focus on getting it right the first time personally.

If they rejected it then tou would simply have to reapply and pay the fee agaib

Please do remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards
Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.