Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi- I am looking to apply for citizenship to the UK through

Hi-

I am looking to apply for citizenship to the UK through my mother under S.4c of the British Nationality Act 1983. I believe I am eligible.

I have two questions: Does it matter that I don't live there now, or haven't lived there

As i understand it, I have to fill out the paperwork, and at some point I will need a representative registered with teh IOSC. Is there a best way to go about this? I know you aren't allowed to recommend specific companies, but any guidance on what to look for and avoid would be helpful.

for example, I talking to whatifpassport.com, and they want to charge me 350 quid to do a "status" trace to tell me if I am eligible. I've already gotten my mother, grandmother, and grandfather's birthd certificates, so I dont' understand what they are going to research.............but if there is something I don't understand, I'd rather pay and get it right.

Thanks very much
Hi

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

There is no residence requirement in order for you to be eligible under s4c of the British Nationality Act. This means that you do not have to have lived in the UK in order to be eligible and, actually, most applicants under this section have not ever lived in the UK up to the point at which they apply.

Details on how you can apply are available on the following guidance notes made available on the UKBA website-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/informationleaflets/bnchapters/bn13.pdf?view=Binary

The form itself is available here:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_ukm.pdf

There is no strict requirement for you to see an OISC immigration adviser provided you are able to deal with the application/referees etc yourself. You are free to make the application yourself .

If you wish for an agent to deal with the application (drafting the application and collate the supporting evidence and deal with any requisitions made) then I would instruct either an OISC adviser or solicitor but if you are happy to deal with it yourself there is no actual prerequisite to instruct an OISC adviser.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kindly rate my answer if you are satisfied with the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi--thanks again.

Can I ask one quick follow up. If I fill out the paperwork and make a mistake, can I just re-file, or do I wind up in a complicated, expensive appeals process?

Hi

In all probability they would reject the application and retain the fee, unless it ws very minor in which case the may simply raise a requisition. I would focus on getting it right the first time personally.

If they rejected it then tou would simply have to reapply and pay the fee agaib

Please do remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards
Tom