How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine is Romanian and has been here since 2005.

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine is Romanian and has been here since 2005. She is applying for citizenship via form AN. She recently got married and passed the knowledge of UK life test recently. Apart from some brief periods she has been a student or working ever since she arrived. What is confusing us is does she have to complete sections 2.4 and 2.5 of form AN regarding exercising her rights under the Treaty ?? We thought she wasn't exercising her rights as she has been here since 2005 so effectively granted permanent residence and of course Romania only became part of the EEA Treaty in 2007.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Your friend can claim British Citizenship on the basis of her permanent residency for over 5 years.

I'm assuming she is applying on the basis of this long residency in the UK.

Therefore, there is no need to complete 2.4 and 2.5 if she has evidence of permanent residency from 2005.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes she had a visa to enter the country in 2005 and studied for two years. Since then she has worked in various roles. Your answer is much as I interpreted but it is very confusing. So she is not an EEA national exercising her EC Treaty rights so can omit 2.4 and 2.5. She is married to a UK national. Yes I suppose she is applying on the basis of this long residency. She has only left the country briefly during this period.


Just to clarify:

She is applying on the basis of her long residency.

So no need to complete 2.4 and 2.5 because she is not exercising treaty rights.

Hope that helps.

Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience: Partner in national law firm.
Alice H and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - I will pass that advice on.

No problem! Have a good weekend. Alex
The sections DO need to be completed. Qualification is based on 6 years - 5 years exercising Treaty Rights to qualify for Permanent Residence and a year free of immigration restrictions to qualify for Citizenship.The applicant does NOT need to apply for PR after 5 years - it is automatic. The full period STILL needs to be evidenced to qualify for Citizenship and particularly where confirmation of PR was not obtained.Marriage has nothing to do with this as the right to be in the UK was not based on the marriage but on exercising Treaty Rights. If this is not clear then please feel free to ask.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.