Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I wanted to ask about indefinite leave to remain

I wanted to ask about indefinite leave to remain processing times and the application for British citizenship.

Since the processing time takes upto 6 months, can these 6 months be counted as part of the one year requirement on ILR when applying for British citizenship?

Have you made your application yet?

Thank you for your question and patience, I'm Tom and I'll try to help you.

I have to go out for the afternoon now, so I will attempt to answer.

The UKBA will determine the application on the basis of the evidence as at the date of submission. So, this means that if you have not yet reached the requisite time required to be eligible for ILR as at the date of submission then they will reject the application.

This is regardless of the fact that you may reach the time required whilst they are considering the application.

The reality is that one of the first things that they check with the application is whether you have the required leave to remain in order to be eligible . So, they would simply reject the application immediately and retain the application fee.

You must wait until you reach the required leave to remain to be eligible to make the application then apply, not before.

Sorry it could not be better news.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kindly rate my answer if you are satisfied with the information I have provided.

Kind regards,