Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I am living and working in the UK on a tier 2 visa Due to

I am living and working in the UK on a tier 2 visa
Due to a unfortunate mistake recently I might receive a fare conviction from tfl .
I want to know if this will impact my visa extension. I donot have any violations in the past.

Thank you for your question. Can you explain a little more . Were you forced to pay a penalty by tfl at the time to were you prosecuted?

How long have you been here and what sort of extension will you be seeking ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure at the moment tfl have not gotten back to me yet . I want to know the impact of a conviction under regulation 18 of railway bye law for fare evasion.

I have been here for two and a half years. Working on a tier two visa with company sponsorship. I will need an extension of the existing visa next year . The same company will be sponsoring me

A conviction under the railway bylaws is not an offence for which you can be imprisoned but is subject to a maximum fine of £1000. Being convicted of an offence that does not involve imprisonment is not a bar to getting n extension although it will be taken into account if it happened less than a year before you apply. it will also prevent you for applying for Uk citizenship if that is your intention until at least 3 years after conviction.
I doubt if it will have any impact on your renewal and they may just issue a penalty rather than prosecute and that would not be an offence anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to declare this conviction in my renewal application , this will be less than a year from now ?

This was a first time offence for me of any kind , is there somwthing I can do from my end to convince them for a fine instead of prosecution?

Yes I expect so. I have not checked the application form but it will be clear form that. No is the answer to the second question. I do not know the circumstances but my understanding is normally if they are going to issue a penny notice they do so at the time but they may send one later but once it is in progress through their system there is nothing you can do .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What impact will this have on a ILR application , if I do apply this should be more than 2 years from any conviction ?

none if it is more than 12 months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks .

If I donot get a conviction , but reach a out of court setllement with tfl

Will this have any impact on my visa application ( similar to a conviction)

A fixed penalty will have no impact upon an extension application
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about ILR application, citizenship application?

Again it should not have any impact but you should disclose it if required by the application at the time.