Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hello, i wanted to know is there a way to get British citizenship

hello,
i wanted to know is there a way to get British citizenship in one year of living in UK or less.

I have had and continue to have a ILR/ILE residency card for UK for many years, but do not live in UK , only go to UK for short trips to maintain the ILE/ILR.
My wife is a UK citizen but by descent(both her parent are naturalized) as is my parent(father was naturalized but passed away mother is naturalized, however not living in UK). I have a son who is 16 months old and an American citizen.

regards

sk

When did your parents naturalise as UK citizens?

Where and when were you born please?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

they were naturalised around 2000-2001.My father passed away in 2005 and mother is still alive.

Okay.

Where and when were you born please?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was born in Columbo, Sri Lanka on 3rd may 1979.

However i am of bangladeshi citizenship so have held Bengali nationality since birth.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that in your circumstances you would not be able to automatically apply for UK citizenship, this is due to you being born outside the UK before 1983 and because your parents were not yet naturalised as UK citizens.

Therefore, if you wished to obtain UK citizenship then the only way that this would be possible would be if you were to naturalise as a UK citizen.

As you are probably aware there are residency requirements in this regard. If you are married to a UK citizen then the requirements are that you must have resided in the UK for a continuous period of 3 years with only minimum time spent outside the UK:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen/

I am afraid that there is absolutely no way around the residence period requirements for this. This is your only option.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Tom