How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My question regards what happens now My wife a Russian

This answer was rated:

My question regards XXXXX XXXXX now' My wife a Russian national has just been granted a settlement visa which has validity of 2 years and 9 months. I am finding it very difficult to get clarity about what happens now! I know that at some point she will have to complete the KOL test and obtain ILR bust at what point and in what sequence before expiry of her visa etc

When did your wife originally apply for her spouse visa please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


24th June 2013



Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Kind regards,


Thanks for your patience.

After a period of residence in the UK on a spouse visa the spouse has the right to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ie. settlement).

This period of time used to be 2 years. However, as a result of rule changes on 9th July 2012 the period of time a foreign national spouse must spend living in the UK has increased to 5 years.

So, because your wife has been granted (as is now standard practice) a visa for 2 years and 9 months she will have to apply for Further Leave to Remain shortly before her leave to remain expires. Details on how she can do this closer to the time here:-
After making this application she will be given further leave to remain for another two years and about 3 months so that she can reach the 5 year residence period to be eligible to apply for ILR.

Shortly before this further leave to remain expires she can apply for indefinite leave to remain. Please see confirmation of the further (quite straight forward eligibility criteria) here:-

As part of the eligibility she must knowledge of language and life in the UK:-

If she is an English speaker then she must the “Life in the UK Test”. You will see that details on how she can study and take the test are available on the above link, by clicking on “Life in the UK test” under the heading “More information” at the bottom of the page on the above link.

If she does not speak English at the time she applies then she will have pass an English language course which is again detailed on the above link in the same way.

Once she has done this she can apply and receive indefinite leave to remain so that she can stay here permanently without the need to apply for any more visas.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions