UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I have three points on my driving licence i got them in November

I have three points on my driving licence i got them in November 2011. I need to apply for citizenship in December 2013.(i already have ILR) the points were for speeding, i got a fixed penalty notice and £60 fine.
Thank you
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

If you have a fixed penalty notice and this did not require you to go to court to plead guilty or not guilty then it would not have an effect on your application for citizenship. They would only consider refusing your application if you were a continuing offender and it showed you were of bad character.

There is a wide range of non custodial sentences which a court may give to adult offenders, including:

a fine
a probation order or community service order (or a combination of both)
conditional or absolute discharge, if this is appropriate.
community service orders.

Even where a person does not have a non custodial sentence within the last 3 years, a citizenship application may be refused if the person has received multiple out of court disposals because this shows a pattern of behaviour that calls into question their character. This will depend on the individual merits of the case and we will take account of:

the number of disposals received
the period over which they were received
the nature of any individual offence(s)
the nature of the collective offence(s).
whether the person has any other convictions and
the age of the person.

If this has been your only fixed penalty notice then you should not have an issue applying for British citizenship.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this answer is exactly the reply from the UK border agency website. you think it was worth nearly £50 for your answer???