How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was denied a tier 2 work visa to the uk because I disclosed

Resolved Question:

I was denied a tier 2 work visa to the uk because I disclosed a DUI conviction with a 4 day detention and was told this was enforced for 5 years

So I could at least use my airplane ticket I applied for a general visitor visa and was declined

I am an American, does this mean I cannot appeal this? I have a girl friend in the England.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

Was the DUI the only reason for refusal?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes DUI was only reason, they said I did not demonstrate why me entering was greater good for UK
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. In respect of the Tier 2 visa they has stopped giving rights of appeal to individuals , your only option would be to write to the UK embassy and ask them to reconsider their decision. You can state mitigating circumstances around the offence and state why you feel that they should over look this and then continue to state the benefits of you being able to work in the UK and how you would give something to society.

2. In respect of your visit to the UK, the home office have also now stopped giving appeal rights to individuals for visitor's visa , as mentioned above the only way you could get around this is by writing a letter of reconsideration to the home office and stating , that you are in a relationship with a UK national and how you will return to the US and how it would effect your relationship if you were denied a visit. Your partner would also need to write a letter or a affidavit stating why she is unable to travel to the US.

If you do not wish to write a letter of reconsideration you can just reapply for another visa.

Unfortunately the UK government has taken away rights of appeal of certain visas, which means your options are limited to writing a letter of reconsideration asking the immigration officer to reconsider or reapplying.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions