Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My girlfriend is from Colombia. I am a uk citicizen. if we

My girlfriend is from Colombia. I am a uk citicizen. if we marry in Colombia and I travel back and forth for 2 years but have all the other evidence for a genuine relationship. ie joint bank accounts bills etc, have I grounds to apply for a spouses visa or not.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Are you asking if your evidence of your trips over to Columbia during the two years would be sufficient evidence of the credibility of your relationship?

How many times would you travel over there during this time?

TOm

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes . I would be traveling maybe 4 times for one or two weeks at a time. She may come to visit me before we do this on a visitors visa or student visa if she can before we get married. I am intending to support her in Colombia but live mostly here. But we could apply for a visitors visa after we are married also.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.
Hi

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Tom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

It would be 4 or 5 times a year that I would visit her in colombia

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Provided that you are able to evidence your relationship during the time that you are in the UK and she is in Columbia then you should be fine. So, you would have to document your travel there by keeping evidence of your flight tickets, receipts and photographic evidence of the visit for both of you.

If you are to open a joint bank account in Columbia then this would also help hugely.

Your other evidence can be evidence of how you have kept in contact when you are not together. So, things like emails, evidence of phone calls, text messages would be fine.

The reality is that if the UKBA see that you have maintained your relationship for two years prior to actually applying for the spouse visa then they won't have any doubts of the credibility of the relationship.

She is free to apply for visit visas before and after you are married, but you should be aware that the UKBA may be a bit suspicious (particularly after you are married) that she may intend to seek permanent stay in the UK whilst on the visitor's visa which is strictly forbidden. Therefore you would have to produce considerable evidence of the continuing ties to Columbia which would compel her to return there at the end of the visitor's visas.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. "FAO Tom".

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

That's great Tom I am trying to save what you said it is difficult on this computer. I am happy with your answer. I just wanted to know before I proceed with things. That has saved me worrying a lot. I am grateful for your help. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

No problem.

Please do rate my answer though.

Kind regards

Tom

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Sorry Tom I forgot to say we were turned down for a visitors visa at Christmas but intend to reapply after we have looked at the reasons closer. I think it was under 4.1. I gave six months payslips and said I was sponsoring her. Gave a letter to say she was invited to visit me and a letter from my mother as the owner of the house as well as evidence she owned it. She gave evidence that I gave her money each month and a copy of my passport photo but they still said that there was no evidence of our relationship and that we had met. However they did say that she might stay and that she may not have enough funds to support herself while here without relying on public funds She was only staying for about 3 weeks. It seems a bit strange to say also she may not have enough funds for the return trip when it is common sense to buy a return ticket.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Well, yes, you would still have to submit evidence of your relationship to show that you have met and that there are genuine reasons for visiting you.

You may consider transferring her some money in order to show that she has sufficient funds.

Please rate my answer now.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor