UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hi, I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is in England. I

I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is in England. I visited him for a month this past summer and am planning on visiting him beginning in January for 6 months. I plan to fly back to the US and then reapply for a Fiance visa at that time. Do I need to apply for a general visa for my visit beginning in January or can I arrive as a visitor without applying first?

Thank you very much. I am happy to rate your service for your help.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

If you are planning on visiting your partner and not marry on your visit in January then you can come to the uk as a general visitor visa without applying first, provided the purpose of your visit is to visit your partner and not marrying in the uk.

Only when you plan to marry in the uk will you need to apply for a fiancé visa prior to entry to the UK.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For UK Lawyer,

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify: It is permissable for me to stay six months when I have already spent a month in the country prior this year? There is no limit to number of months total per year on a visitor visa? Thanks!

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

There is no restriction on the number of visits a person may make to the UK nor any requirement that a specified time must elapse between successive visits.  However, the Immigration Rules state that the applicant must show that they do not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent and successive visits.   An immigration officer would consider the reason for a series of visits with only brief intervals outside the UK between each visit.  The immigration officer would also consider the purpose of the visit against the time elapsed between visits  and  the duration of previous visits to the UK. 

There is no Rule that states a visitor can only remain in the UK for 6 out of any 12 months, but an immigration officer would examine the pattern and frequency of visits to see that it does not amount to de facto residence.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.