Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

My girlfriend would like to stay in the UK after she has finished

My girlfriend would like to stay in the UK after she has finished her studies as an osteopath and live with me, although we are not ready to marry yet. Is there any other way she can stay? We have been together for ten years and have proof for that.
Thank you for your question. How long has she been in the UK? Can you confirm her visa status. What basis are you in the Uk ? What nationality are you please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am uk citizen from birth. She came to the uk first in 2008 then took a. Year off in 2009-10, then on student visa since 2010.
Thank you. I assume your girlfriend is not an EEA citizen but if she has been here lawfully for more than 6 months she can apply to switch permission to stay as your partner. It is not necessary for you to get married. You will need to establish that it is a genuine relationship and that you can meet the financial and other requirements.

You can find all the information you need in the UKBA website which sets out the basic criteria here:

The documentation requirement is set out here:

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.