Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
30932268

I would like my tunisian boyfriend to come to the UK for one

I would like my tunisian boyfriend to come to the UK for one week to visit my family and I am not sure of the best approach for him to apply for the tourist visa. I understand it is difficult to obtain. He doesn't have a job at the moment and lives with his parents which I believe will not help his case. What is the likelihood that he will be able to obtain a visa? I read that I could perhaps write a letter of invitation and provide my financials in support of his visa (I am employed full time and a UK citizen) is this true and what would be the best way of approaching this please? Do I submit my documents to UKBA or does he have to do everything at his end? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Your boyfriend will need to apply for a GENERAL VISITOR visa to enable him to visit the UK for up to 6 months.

He needs to show:

-He is 18 years or over;
-He intends to visit the UK for no more than 6 months;
-He intends to leave the UK at the end of the visit;
-He has enough money to support and accommodate himself without working or help from public funds [OR he will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends];
-He can meet the cost of the return or onward journey.

Once he is ready to make the application he should download the forms and lodge them with the British Embassy in Tunisia. Here is a link with the application forms:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/apply/

A letter from you inviting him for a visit is crucial and will really help his application. If you are going to support him during his visit then you should give details of your employment, income and accommodation. You should also include your full contact details and a copy of your passport.

Tunisian nationals are not prohibited from visiting the UK. But a single man from Tunisia will have to persuade the immigration authorities that he does not intend to remain in the UK and will return to his home country. This may be difficult if he has no real attachment to his home country and is visiting his girlfriend in the UK. I'm not saying the application will be refused - but you both need to be aware that this may be an uphill struggle.

Alex
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for the quick response I very much appreciate your advice.

I think we take it for granted here in the UK that we can visit pretty much any country for a holiday with relative ease - I never even imagined he would be refused a holiday visa before I began investigating all of this.

If there is anything you can think of which might support his application that you have not already mentioned above, particularly in reference to him being able to prove he is planning to return to Tunisia and not try to remain in the UK, I would appreciate your advice as I think this may be the main problem in his application. He does have his family there...I wonder if there is anything surrounding this we could use as evidence of his plan to return?

Anyway many thanks once again for your help.

Kind regards,

Kate

I know what you mean - sadly there are so many people who abuse the system that it makes genuine applications really difficult.

There's not much else he can do to persuade the authorities that he intends to return. Unfortunately the immigration rules do not provide a system to give a cash security or surety as a guarantee.

I suppose its really based on trust. If he is able to persuade the authorities that he is a genuine visitor then he'll be fine. But apart from giving assurances that he will return, there's not much else he can do.

Alex
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Alex, much appreciated. I thought as much but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kate

No problem! I wish you both all the very best with the application.

Alex