Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.

Just passed Life in the UK test, what next?

Good afternoon,

I just passed a 'Life in the UK test' and I'm not really sure what's next. I mean I think I just need to do a Home Office 'FORM AN' application form (it's about 17 pages), pay a fee (£874 or something like that) and send the form with passport and certificate confirming that I passed the test, that's all. Then I wait up to 6 months and if Home Office accepts the application I become British citizen, then I can apply for passport. Am I thinking right?

Because I read somewhere that I have to apply for 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' (ILR) after I pass the 'Life in the UK' test (?). Let me write a little bit about myself, so it may help you with an answer: I'm single, self-employed programmer and web developer, I've been living in the UK for last 7 years (I meet all the criteria listed here: I'm from Poland - country that is part of the EU (and it was already when I moved to UK). Thank you in advance for your time and help and please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Kind Regards

P. Z.

Once you have spent 5 years in the UK exercising Treaty Rights then you are considered to have Permanent Residence. You can apply for a document to confirm this but it is not necessary.

Once you have been here for 6 years exercising Treaty Rights then you can simply apply for Naturalisation using form AN and you do not need to have formally obtained a document confirming Permanent Residence (ILR) - you already have this simply by being in the UK for 5 years exercising Treaty Rights.

You need to ensure that you had comprehensive sickness insurance for any periods where you exercised Treaty Rights as a student or not working.

So the answer is yes, you can apply for Naturalisation using form AN if you meet the requirements and you do not need to have formally obtained ILR first. Once you are approved you will attend a Citizenship ceremony and can then apply for a British Passport.