Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband was born in the UK. He immigrated to Canada and

My husband was born in the UK. He immigrated to Canada and is now a permanent resident in the U.S. We have two daughters. One was born in 1969 and the other was born in 1981. I am assuming since he was born in the UK and his parents were born in the UK he could have dual citizenship... (He currently holds only a Canadian Passport.) My question is this? Can both daughters have dual citizenship? And, does he need to apply 1st? Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

p.s.  Both daughters are U.S. Citizens

Thanks for your question.

Your husband is a "british citizen otherwise than by descent" by virtue of having been born in the UK before 1983. He can apply for a passport straight away and need only prove his birth and parentage.

Your daughters are also entitled to UK citizenship. However, because they were born outside the UK they will have a slightly different type.

Citizenship is only permitted to descend one generation to children born outside the UK.

Therefore, your husband's citizenship is permitted to descend one generation to your daughters. They will have "british citizenship by descent". This is the same as your husband's citizenship in all respects and rights apart from that your children will not be able to pass on their own citizenship to such of their children that are born outside the UK.

Both your husband and daughters can apply directly for UK passports providing that they can prove their births and parerentage.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. "FAO Tom".

Kind regards,