Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have an ILR and would like to know what would happen if my

I have an ILR and would like to know what would happen if my wife and I divorce, can I stay in the UK?

When did you obtain ILR please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it was 2008, I don't have my passport here

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have obtained ILR on the basis of being married to your UK spouse or foreign national spouse who holds ILR in the UK and you obtained this in 2008 then nothing will happen.

Your ILR will not be revoked in these circumstances as a result of your divorce. You are free to divorce your husband and remain in the UK under the basis of your indefinite leave to remain.

ILR is only revoked in circumstances where it is clear to the UKBA that it was obtained by deception. Generally, this is where the UKBA become aware very shortly after they have given ILR that the marriage was only a marriage of convenience. Even then, they must have incontrovertible evidence that the marriage was a deception purely for the purpose of the spouse getting ILR.

There is no chance that this would be a possibility in your case if you remained in marriage and living with your husband from 2008 until now. People in marriages of convenience simply don’t do that.

You will be fine to divorce your husband and remain in the UK.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,