How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question, is about UK fiance/spouse visa. my Chinese girl

Resolved Question:

Question, is about UK fiance/spouse visa.
my Chinese girl friend and I have know each other for 2 and been dating for 18 months.
We meet in a Chinese city where i was working, she was a student there.
later i moved on to 2 other cities, our relationship continued and we traveled to visit each other many times during my work and her studies.
She is 23 and I 50, now she is studying in Canada and I have traveled to see her there. We have had some holidays together traveling (docs available).
We wish to marry, and settle in the UK, will we get fiance/spouse visa
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Are you now based in the united kingdom?

There is a financial requirement, do you have an annual salary income in excess of £18600?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes in excess of the minimum amount.

My home is in the UK, but my work is all overseas living in hotels, mainly China.


Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If you are a uk citizen and have a salary above the threshold level then you would be eligible to apply for settlement. please note that you must have been in receipt of the salary for 6 months.

There are two ways of going about it.

The first is to marry outside the UK then for her to apply for a spouse visa. One application, one application fee.

The second is to apply for a fiance visa. This his where you apply on the basis that you will marry in the UK when she comes here. She would then have to make another application from within the UK once you are married to switch to a spouse visa.

Applying for a fiance visa is more complicated than a spouse visa. This is because you only have to prove that you are married with a spouse visa, whereas you with a fiance visa you have to prove that you intend to marry. This means that the amount of documentary evidence to submit with the application is increased, You have to submit things like evidence of engagement, engagement rings, booking of wedding venue, wedding invitation and possibly a honeymoon as well.

The best advice that I can give is that you should instruct a UK immigration solicitor to act on your behalf. They would conform your eligibility, then draft the application and collate all of your supporting ddocumentation to submit with it.

Additionally, if you apply via the fiance visa route there would be another application fee to switch to a spouse visa.

Once your wife has been in the UK for a period of five years on her spouse visa then she can apply for indefinite leave to remain so that she can stay here permanently without applying for any more visas

If this is useful please kindly rate my answer as okay services or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What impact would the following have

1,does the age difference make to either application?

2, sponsoring a previous partner 10 years ago (now divorced 6 months) and she has left the UK.?


These are the specific points that I would like clarification on

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

The key point is that provided the united kingdom border agency is satisfied that your current relationship is genuine then neither of the two issues which you have raised will make a difference.

However, I would suggest that you start thinking about other supporting evidence that you can produce to show the chronology of your current relationship. This would be things like correspondence, statement from you both about the relationship, and perhaps evidence in the form of photographs or receipts for the trips that you have taken together.

Once the credibility of the relationship is established then goes to issues will fall away and not cause you any problems.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to RATE my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the majority of what you said is plain to see on the internet, I would like to know what ratio of age gap red flags the application, its not about getting around it, its about the best procdure for success full application.


We have the history, we have the documents, pictures etc.

I will do the clicky just give more info and what experience you have had in similar situations, examples, and success.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

The united kingdom border agency will be more suspicious if there is an considerable age gap, I'm afraid that this is a simple fact. I have acted for number of clients weather is significant age gap between the uk husband and a foreign national wife.

Though the age gap is considerable in your case, you do appear to have a substantial history of time spent together.

The key things that make the united kingdom border agency suspicious that the relationship is not credible is where there has not been a good deal of contact in the past. For example if I have only been one trip out to meet the wife and sparse correspondence then this alone would not be enough for them to find a relationship credible.

If the relationship between the parties appears to be relatively short then they will also be highly suspicious and unless there is a very high amount of contact in the short relationship timespan then they will find it difficult to determine that the relationship is credible.

There is no specific age gap which makes them more suspicious the other types of applications, each case is judged on its merits and it is more subjective than simply an age gap.

If you met in china before moving around and still maintaining contact, before she then moved to canada where you continued contact with additional holidays then this will be sufficient for them to find a relationship credible. It is just a question of documenting it with your correspondence, photos, evidence of traveling, receipts and any other sundry documentation you can remember to show your time together.

Please remember to rate my answer. I do not get rewarded for the time I have taken to answer your question unless you do.

Kind regards

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.