Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.

Help I have got a question, I live in the UK and got granted

Help I have got a question, I live in the UK and got granted a tier 1 visa in June 2009, moved the country in November 2009 , extended a 3 year visa to 2 more years last year and ready to apply for ILR next year in October. My question is over this 5 years period of time, how many days over 5 years could I be away from the UK in total? Thanks
You should not have been outside the UK for more than 180 days in any of the 5 consecutive 12-month periods prior to submitting your application.

Further details can be found here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear expert, thanks I have read it I guess I do not simply understand the meaning, so it is not 180 days in total over 5 years but in any 12 months. Meaning I could have been away for 300 days as long as it does not fall within 12 months I am fine, yes?
Also with this new rule of the English test implemented this coming October, do I need to take any English test for ILR if I had proved my English earlier in the process during my tier 1 applications. Many thanks
Nearly. The old rule was 180 days in total within the 5 years. Toward the end of 2012 they changed this rule.

If you applied in October 2013 then you would be looking at the 12-month periods of November 2008 to October 2009, November 2009 to October 2010, etc - you must not be out of the UK for more than 180 days in any of those 12-month periods. You should be aware that this is not designed to enable you to simply live outside the UK for up to 6 months each year - significant absences should be for business purposes. This is made clear on the page that I linked to earlier.

You will need to evidence your English Language ability but the qualification you have used in your Tier 1 applications should also be accepted for ILR. Until we see the new rules and new forms we do not know if you will need to supply the degree or not.