Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

I am of British decedent on both sides of my family. My ancestors

Customer Question

I am of British decedent on both sides of my family. My ancestors came from Great Britain before they settled on the USA. I'm English by blood & im 100% caucasian. Im a descendent of nobility from my mother'a side the Stevens Family & my great grandfathers from long ago was a Baron in Gloucester, England. I would love to move out of the USA to England. Im 18 years old cold I already be a British citizen or at least qualify?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Were your mother and/or father born in the UK? If not then you are not going to have an entitlement to British Citizenship.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They weren't, they were born here in the USA. But wouldn't being of British blood count? If not how can I hope to get a citizenship?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
If you were not born in the UK and your parents were not born in the UK then you are not going to have an entitlement to British Citizenship.

To get Citizenship you would need to follow the usual route, this usually being to get permission to work in the UK, requiring a UK employer to sponsor you in a highly skilled job, then after 5 years you could apply for Permanent Residence and a year after that apply for Citizenship.

There is not going to be an easy route for you to acquire British Citizenship.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Then what would you suggest I do since you say this won't be easy for me?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
I would suggest what I mentioned in my previous answer if you really want to become a British Citizen. You would need to build a qualifying period in the UK and this would usually be done through working here:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/

Please remember to rate the service that has been provided to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the info.... However how could I apply for a job in the UK if I don't know any employer? What if I can also prove that my grandparents were born in the UK with Thur birth certicate?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
It really doesn't matter where your grandparents were born.

You would try to get a job in the usual way but you are not going to get a job at a high enough level to qualify for sponsorship and a work permit at your age. You need to complete your education and if your career brings the opportunity to work in the UK then you can pursue that. The only other alternative would be to study at a UK University and this would require a student visa. This does not lead to Citizenship in most cases though and eventually you would still need to obtain sponsorship from a UK employer.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Please note that a rating should be of the SERVICE that has been provided and NOT whether or not you like the answer that is given.

Please clarify exactly why you have given a poor rating when I have accurately and promptly answered your questions.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Shayna,

I have spent my time assisting you and would appreciate at least the courtesy of a response. It might be that you did not realise how the system works - this does happen sometimes. If this was the case then you should correct it. If this was not the case then it would be polite to explain the reason.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Just a gentle reminder to do the right thing Shayna.