Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

I am an american with an American passport. I was just refused

I am an american with an American passport. I was just refused a Tier 2 work visa
because of a DUI which I disclosed on my Visa application. I spent money on Airfare (one-way) and dread the lost of money of not going to London at all. I wish to purchase a return ticket back to the USA. I wish to stay in the UK for less than a week. Do i need to apply for a visitor visa now that I have a visa application refused to work there? I've worked in the UK from 2007-2011 and visited many times and have never been in trouble ib the UK. I'm just afraid I'll go through customs at Heathrow and be denied entry
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
You are strongly recommended to get a visit visa before travelling as you have previously been refused a UK visa. This is especially the case where your refusal was for a visa to enable you to work in the UK. There is a strong chance that you would be refused entry to the UK if the staff at border control were not convinced that you intended to leave the UK and or that you would not try to work here. You will appreciate that you had a job offer and therefore the question of whether or not you were coming here to work would naturally arise.

You are not required to get a visit visa but it is strongly recommended. Even with a visa there is a chance of entry being refused if border control doubt your reasons for entry and you should travel with evidence that you will leave in case you are questioned whether you enter with a visit visa or simply under visa waiver as a US Citizen.

So my advice would be that you do not try to enter without a visit visa being obtained first.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the bonus - much appreciated. If you have further questions in future then please feel free to ask from my profile page or by starting your question with 'For UKVisas'.