Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Greetings, Im debating a 350 pound wager, and would just

Greetings, I'm debating a 350 pound wager, and would just like a second opinion before I commit. I paid 50 pounds for a review to be done on my family to see if I would qualify for a UK passport. My genealogy is pretty straightforward, my Mom's side is English through and through, (she moved to the U.S. 50 years ago became a dual citizen about 15 years ago). Her father was a WW1 veteran.

My father has no ties to the UK, I can't ever trace his family tree.

20 years ago when information wasn't so freely available my parents tried to get my sister dual citizenship to go to college in Wales and failed.

They are stating it's highly likely I am eligible for a passport. Is there likely a loophole that makes it worth the gamble. I am an American Citizen born and raised. I was christened in England and spent some summers there growing up, but that is about it.

Would you think I have a least a say 30% chance of it working? I realize I am asking you to speculate and don't expect to hold you responsible for disappointment, I am basically just asking if these outfits are usually just scam preying on the desperate.

Where and when was your mother born please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for taking a look at my question. February 1, 1940, in Derbyshire,---Belper I believe to be precise.

Thanks for your reply.

I think you are eligible to apply for registration under S.4c of the British Nationality Act 1983.

Previously, British mothers were not allowed to pass on their citizenship to children that were born outside of the UK. S.4c changed that and provides a route for eligible persons born before 1983 to register as UK citizens.

Confirmation is contained on the following link:

You would receive uk citizenship by descent. This is full uk citizenship with all citizenship rights, except that you would not be able to pass on your citizenship to such of your own children that are not born in the united kingdom.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards