How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you give some advise please. A family friend was born in

This answer was rated:

Can you give some advise please. A family friend was born in Jamaica in 1934. He came to the UK in 1961 on a Jamaican British passport. He has lived in the UK since then, has married a Jamaican woman and all his children have been born in the UK. He has worked until he retired several years ago paying national insurance, tax and the right to vote. He now wants to apply for a passport to return one last time home in his frail years. The passport he arrived on expired in 1966. How do we go about getting him a passport when he has no citizenship paperwork? Also how would we go about getting him his citizenship.
Does he have his previous passport and does this clearly state right of abode?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has a British Jamaican passport that was issued in 1961 a few months before he left there and traveled to the UK.The passport does not state right of abode but is stamped British subject Citizwen of the United Kingdom and colonies.

And not one page of the passport states right of abode?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have checked it on the inside of the cover it gives a statement from the governor in charge of the island. It then goes onto say "Request and require in the name of her majesty all those who it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him every assistance and protection of which he may stand in need". No where does it state about the right of abode.

On no pages? Not even page 5?

He should have been a CUKC - Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies - and I would have expected right of abode to be stated somewhere in his passport.

You have presumably used the passport checking service at the Post Office. You will no doubt realise that they are not particularly adept at matters of law relating to Citizenship, so you might be better placed to simply apply directly instead of visa the Post Office.

Jamaica ceased to be a part of the UK and Colonies in 1962 so he was ok to enter the UK and should have right of abode based on this.

Does the passport state British Citizen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Page 5 is empty. I understand what you are saying about the post office but my concern is that if we apply directly and it is not adequate information will they advise us what information we will need? Also what happens if they say they need proof of citizenship? Have you come across this situation before please advise

I understand. You might want to apply for a certificate confirming right of abode.


Please see the following page:


You will find the following text:


If you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and were ordinarily resident in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years before 1 January 1983, and were settled in the UK at the end of that period


You should send evidence of:


your citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies, such as a passport, or certificate of naturalisation or registration; and


your settlement and 5 years of ordinary residence in the UK before 1983, such as your passport, P60 tax forms, details of National Insurance contributions, social security claims or employers' letters.


This would seem to suggest that if right of abode is not indicated in the passport then a certificate confirming this can be obtained if he was a CUKC (he was) and he had lived in the UK for at least 5 years prior to January 1983 (he had). It might be worth applying for right of abode confirmation before applying for the passport.


Sorry to use rather vague terminology but these situations are never as clear as we would like them to be.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you advise how I get a right to abode confirmation?

Everything you need is on the following page:

This includes the form and guidance. Link in the top right of that page.
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.