Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Hi I have recently received a fixed penalty notice for £90

Customer Question

Hi I have recently received a fixed penalty notice for £90 under S1 theft act 1968 for shop lifting in the UK. This has happened for the first time in my life , although it was unintentional but I couldn't prove it. I wish to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. I am dependant upon a TEIR 1 General holder and currently eligible for ILR. While applying for ILR (SET 0 form) there is a section where we need to declare whether any criminal convictions, any civil judgements , civil penalties made against us. Also they ask for details of all unspent and spent criminal convictions including fixed penalties tickets. Request you to please guide us on the following:-

1. Do we need to mention about this fixed penalty notice in the SET 0 form while applying for ILR in the UK?
2. If yes, what will be the implication of this FPN on our ILR application?
3. Is there any other implications that we need to take care of due to this FPN?

Request you to kindly help us.

Thank you in advance.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Yes you need to mention this fixed penalty notice it is clearly required by SET (0). however although the fixed penalty notice can be taken into account in assessing good character, it does no constitute a bar to you getting ILR. A Fixed penalty Notice is not a conviction and accordingly you are still eligible for ILR. So yes it must be disclosed If you do not do so you could be refused for failure to disclose it on your application but you should still get ILR