Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Marriage to UK national (Russian applicant)

Hi Thomas, my boy friend is a Russian national, and I am British/Russian. He is here on a tourist visa at the moment as he frequently travels to the UK and we thought we could get married in a registry office without getting fiancee visa first. We looked at UKBA website and I became of impression that we could not get married unless he had a fiancee visa or we applied from Russia. But then, if further stated that if partner is already in the UK, (regardless of visa I thought) it was possible to go to designated registry office to give notice to marry. I spoke with many such offices today and none of them requested him to have fiancee visa, only asked what ppt he and i hold. We made an appointment, but have doubts that this marriage will be processed by the UKBA, or refused on the grounds that the rules were bypassed.

You are able to marry but he will not be able to apply for a Spouse visa in the UK and will instead have to apply from his home country. He must leave the UK before his visa expires.