How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am now in UK in a family permit visa which is about to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am now in UK in a family permit visa which is about to expire in October, then i would like to apply for my residence card before that. But my real concern is:

I got my family permit visa on my previous passport(which has my maiden name). Last week, I renewed my passport because i would like to apply for the EEA2 with my new surname. BUT the problem is that my passport came with an error on the date of issue of the previous one, to be more clear, Brazilian renewed passports has also a stamp where it shows the information from the previous one, such as: ''granted to replace the passport (number) issued by( autority) in (date)'' which in my case the date should be 2009, and it mistakenly came as issue date of the previous passport ''2008'' and my first one was issued in 2009 instead. I showed to the embassy the mistake, and all they said is that it won't cause me any problems because it's just a mere error that the most important thing is that the number of the previous passport is mentioned correctly, and that all my other details are correct. SO, my big fear is that whether i send my passport to the home office to apply for my visa, if they see that, will they think i just sent them a false document???even if my passport is truly valid? will it cause problems for me? but, if they see that, will they just send me my documents back and refuse my application or they will punish me by denying me come to UK in 10 years? I am so worried by now, and i don't know whether it's no reason to worry about or if i should do something about it? (* I did not send the application yet.)

Thanks for your patience.

I think that the best thing you could do would be to document the fact that you consider this to be an oversight. The best way to do this would be to outline it in a letter and send it to the embassy from which your passport was issued. You should detail that you have applied in the correct way and that the mistake appears to be their fault and, as such, they should rectify it.

You should express your concerns about the potential impact that you consider this may have your residence card application and ask for the mistake to be remedied at the cost of the embassy.

If they write back to you refusing to do this then you should explain in your covering letter drawing the UKBA’s attention to the error, your efforts to get it remedied and a copy of the embassy’s response. State specifically that you do not intend to deceive them but consider that you have discharging your responsibility to make reasonable efforts to get it remedied.

I would still expect you to be fine. The passport itself is not false, it just contains an administrative error made by the embassy. It will not be the first time.

There is technically no legal requirement for you apply for your residence card before your family permit expires. Your right to remain here derive from your marriage to an EEA national and not from the family permit stamp. A Residence Card is simply acknowledgement of your right to remain here, it is not actually the giving of the right to you because you already have it by virtue of your marriage.

I have a meeting now for about an hour. I will be able to reply to any further questions you have after that.

Good luck

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for the answer.

My concern is that, when I spoke to the embassy they said it would not cause me problems, and also said if I didn't want the passport with the error they made, I should pay for a new passport with a different number. I dont want to get a new passport because the one I have now has the details of my previous one( which I have the family permit visa), nevertheless, do you still think if I just send this passport without mention the error to the home office, this would cause me problems? or is just better if I get a new passport, then would I have to send the three of them to apply for my visa?




I just think it's best that you get something in writing. They may have said that to you but it's not in documentary form (ie. in writing), so you have no evidence to produce to the UKBA that you have noticed and attempted to rectiofy the error.

If you send the passport as is, then you may be okay, but you may not depending on whether they pick up the mistake or not.

Personally, I think it would probably be best for you to apply for the mistake to be remedied and then apply after that.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.