Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

EEA family permit: I am Nigerian but presently residing

EEA family permit:
I am Nigerian but presently residing in Sofia, Bulgaria. I am applying for my EEA family permit next week in order to join my wife in the UK. She's British citizen and has been exercising her treaty rights for years now. We got married in Bulgaria.
I am a bit confused about an aspect of the application. As part of the requirement for the application, am supposed to submit either her original passport or photocopy of passport if my partner is already in the UK. But they require that the copy of the passport be endorsed by the EEA national's embassy in the country of application. That sounds quite confusing because the EEA national's embassy in the country of my application is the UK embassy in Bulgaria where i am living and where i would be submitting. So how can they require that i have a copy of her passport endorsed by the same embassy that would be receiving the application? Secondly, they required a letter from the EEA national, declaring that you are travelling with them or are joining them in the UK. My question is, who should this letter be addressed to and what should be the contents of the letter? Also, i have read from other threads of applicants who had to write a cover letter. Is it compulsory to write this and if so what contents? Please kindly explain to me.
Thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
You have misread the requirement for the passport copy. They ask it to be endorsed by the EEA national's embassy in the country in which they are resident or present at the time of application. The EEA national's Embassy is the Bulgarian Embassy in the UK as she is currently in the UK.

The letter from your wife can be addressed to the ECO, British High Commission, Bulgaria. It is not particularly important as it is being included with your application and not sent directly to that would be sufficient.

You can include a covering letter if you wish to do so. This would usually simply confirm the relationship and that you wish to join your wife in the UK. If there are any potential problems or concerns in the application then you can address them in the covering letter.

You can find further information with regard to documents here:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/eea-family-permit.pdf

The Home Office page relating to this type of application is here:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/documents/

Please remember to rate the service that I have provided and good luck with the application. If you have further questions then feel free to ask.
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your assistance but am still not satisfied with your response to my question. How can the EEA national's embassy in the country that are resident or present at the time of application be the Bulgarian Embassy in UK? I don't get it. They said and i quote " a copy of the EEA national's passport or identity card, endorsed by the EEA national's embassy in the country in which they are resident or present at the time of application".

My wife being a UK/EEA national has her embassy as the UK embassy. Please explain to me how a UK citizen's embassy in the country they are resident being the UK would mean the Bulgarian embassy in UK.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I am still not satisfied with the answer i got concerning my EEA family permit application. I am required to submit a copy of my wife's passport endorsed by the EEA national's embassy in the county they are resident or present at the time of application. The answer i got from you is that my wife who is a UK/EEA national should have a copy of her passport endorsed by the Bulgarian embassy in UK. But it states and i quote "a copy of the EEA national's passport or identity card, endorsed by the EEA national's embassy in the country in which they are resident or present at the time of application. The EEA national's embassy in my case is my wife who is a UK/EEA national, cannot endorse a copy of her passport in UK because there is no UK embassy in her present country of residence which is the UK. I need to be clarified on this.
Thanks.
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.

If your partner is British and living in the UK then you should not usually be using the EEA route unless your partner has very recently returned to the UK.

If your partner is British and living in Bulgaria then the EEA route would apply.

Are you saying that she is British, has been working in Bulgaria but is now currently living and working in the UK but has only recently returned to the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My partner is also Nigerian but is a UK citizen by virtue of the citizenship of her parents. She moved to the UK in 1999. I have a temporary residence in Bulgaria as a student and therefore can only apply for the EEA family permit from here. I have read on the UKBA site that the EEA family permit is EEA family members e.g spouse. We met during her Mum's funeral in Nigeria by february this year. She's been here to see me a couple of times in Bulgaria. At first u said a copy of her passport should be endorsed by the Bulgarian embassy in UK in response to my question. Please clarify me.

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
I apologise for the confusion caused - I had misread your question and for some unknown reason managed to miss that she is a British Citizen. Please ignore the advice given previously.

You said that she has been exercising treaty rights for years but that she has only been to see you a couple of times in Bulgaria. A British Citizen does not exercise treaty rights by living and working in the UK, so please clarify the basis upon which she has been exercising treaty rights in an EEA country not including the UK?

If you had thought that you could get an EEA family visa based on a British Citizen living and working in the UK then this would be incorrect and you should instead be looking at a Spouse visa.

I await your response and will guide you in the correct direction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answers worry me because it completely contradicts what's on the UKBA site.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
My answer would not contradict if it has been understood correctly. As I said, ignore the first response I provided as I had not understood your situation.

Answer the following question and I will guide you in the right direction.

- Has your wife been living and working in an EEA country that is NOT the UK? If she has then let me know the details. If she has been living and working in the UK then you should get a Spouse visa and NOT an EEA Family visa. Nothing on the Home Office site contradicts this.

Once you confirm the situation then I will advise and provide you with links to confirm my advice.
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you answer my question.

If your wife has been living and working ONLY in the UK then the EEA family visa application WILL be refused and you should NOT make an application.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/guidance/ecg/eun/eun2/#header14

I am concerned that you are about to make a mistake based on your statement that your wife has only visited you in Bulgaria a couple of times.

Let me know so that I can ensure you make the right application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has not been living and working in another EEA country that is not the UK and i can't go to my country... at least not now. And i have to be in UK before the 5th of October because of our white wedding. **sad face**

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. On the plus side, you will now be able to avoid making an application that would be refused.

You will need to make a Spouse visa application:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/

You will need to evidence the relationship, meet the English language requirement and meet the Financial requirement. Assuming no children then your WIFE must demonstrate income of at least £18,600 for the previous 12-month period (this can be evidenced in a variety of ways, including using savings that have been in the account of you or your wife for at least 6 months).

You can usually apply from Bulgaria if you have at least 6 months visa status remaining, although you would need to check the local British Embassy for their current policy as this can change on a regular basis and is not always the same at various different locations.

Even if you can apply quickly the chances of the application being decided in time for your proposed trip are slim.

If your wife was living and working in an EEA country other than the UK for perhaps six months then you could get an EEA family visa and then you could both come back to the UK with that visa. This exception to the general rule is known as the 'Surinder Singh' route. This does not apply to your situation though and you must use the Spouse visa route.

You might be able to get a Family visit visa to enable your visit BUT current processing times indicate perhaps 8 weeks for the visa to be approved and you would need to strongly evidence reasons to demonstrate that you would leave the UK - sometimes difficult when you are not employed and married to the person in the UK. Being on a course that has not finished might help matters but the Spouse visa might be decided just as 'quickly' as the visit visa.

Sorry for the bad news and the initial confusion about your question. I am glad you provided that additional information that I requested as this has saved you making an application that would have definitely been refused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i apply for a normal visiting visa? What form of assistance can u offer me to get this and get it fast enough?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
You can apply for a visit visa - family visit would seem most appropriate. You might get the application decided in about 3 weeks but there is no fast-track process:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/bulgaria/processing-times/?langname=UK%20English

I can offer advice on getting a visitor visa if you visit my profile page and ask the question from there or ask a new question starting with "For UKVisas", as this is different to your original question. Alternatively, simply rate a positive service again on this question and we can continue here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok but one last question. I have only been in Bulgaria for about 5-6 months. I hope that won't be a problem securing the visit visa because i have heard that i have to be here for a year in order to apply. How true...???

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
It is more important how long you have left on your visa. As a general rule you should not be on a temporary visa BUT they can allow visit visa applications. See the first link in the 'more information' section at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/bulgaria/applying/?langname=UK%20English
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a 1 year Bulgarian temporary residence permit as a student which would expire on the 17th of April 2014. Meaning that i still have about 8 months to go.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Then you should be able to apply for a visitor visa.

If you would like advice about the visitor visa then please feel free to either ask another question directly to me as outlined earlier or simply rate the service provided here again and I will answer your questions here.
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Only ok? You are hard to please!

So, the most important aspect of a visitor visa application is to ensure that the caseworker has reasonable cause to believe that you will leave the UK and that you are not likely to try and stay in the UK. You will appreciate that where you have a wife in the UK then the need to prove you are likely to leave the UK is even greater.

As you are a student it will be a good idea for you to get something from your educational establishment to confirm the course on which you are enrolled and to confirm when you are due to continue your studies. The break in studies should obviously fit in with the period you will state as being required for your visit visa. If you are also working and this is in accordance with the terms of your visa then you should also get something from your employer to confirm when you are due back at work. If you have any financial commitments in Bulgaria, such as a fixed property rental period, then you should also evidence this. The idea is to show sufficient commitments that the balance of probability is that you will want to leave the UK and return to Bulgaria.

You should also make clear the purpose of your visit - in your case make sure it is clear that you are already married and so this is simply for a ceremony for family/religious purposes (if I have understood correctly).

You should also evidence that you have sufficient funds to afford the return flight and confirm where you will be staying. A letter from your wife to confirm her address, the purpose of the visit and that you will be staying with her should also be provided, along with a copy of her passport and the marriage certificate. She can also include evidence of her address such as a lease agreement or mortgage document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now obviously i have to cancel my appointment with the UK embassy for the EEA family permit. But if i do this and fill out another form for visiting, won't they still have my data in their system as one who once applied for EEA family permit thereby conflicting things about my application. Or is it that as soon as i cancel my appointment, all information about my application wipes out from their system or made null and void?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Cancelling the appointment should not impact upon your new application at all. If you are asked about it then simply answer honestly - that you thought it was the simplest way to let you visit your wife in the UK from time to time but then realised it was the wrong application - even if you had been able to get an EEA Family visa you would still not have been staying permanently in the UK at that time as you have studies to complete (which you will evidence as part of the visit visa application to confirm your intention to leave the UK).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank u so much for your useful advice. The section on the UKBA site that states that as one on a temporary resident permit, i cannot apply for most types of visa in that country. I can only apply for :

• a visitor visa

• a Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting) visa

• an EEA family permit.

Going by this, can i apply for a family visa as one going to visit my wife or as an independent visitor. Does family visitor visa come under this category of visitor visa stated here?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
That was the page that I provided a link to and yes, you can apply for a visitor visa of any type (the sub-category does not matter). Details on the family visit visa can be found here:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/family/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank u so much. Would it be necessary for my wife to accompany me to the UK embassy on the day of my interview appointment?

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
It is not necessary but if she is there anyway and available to answer questions if required then it cannot hurt but don't be surprised if they will not speak to her. Make sure you have sufficient original documents to evidence the key parts of the application as outlined previously and good luck. Let me know the result!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sure will.... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Apologies for the initial confusion about your question but I am pleased that we pursued this as it has helped you avoid a wasted application. I hope your visit visa is approved and look forward to hearing good news in due course. I will close the question - you can come back to it if you need to.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, please how much money should be enough for my visit. I stated in my application that i would visiting for 7 days. And my wife was going to take care of it. They asked how much i would be receiving for my trip, i said 1,000 pounds from her and 250 pounds from me. Total of 1,250 pounds. Is this ok? It's just a 1 week vacation. I intend to attach a copy of the moneygram receipt she sent the money with. How much should my wife be worth as balance in her account?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
There is not a fixed amount but the amount transferred to you should be at least sufficient to cover the return flight. If your wife is going to support your trip then she should be able to show at least a few hundred pounds available funds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. How long do u think it would take to issue this family visit visa from UK embassy, Bulgaria? Would i be able to meet up as against October 5th???

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Processing times are on the website:

Current processing times for a family visit are stated as 40 days, which is 8 weeks. This was in June so it might be quicker now and the High Commission might be able to guide you more accurately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just filled out the forms but i may have made a mistake. I should have put it in there that am going for my church wedding because of my wife's family. But i forgot. Can i cancel the application and start afresh? I have receipts to show details of the wedding plan BUT part of the requirements for this family visa is that u MUST not enter the UK to get married. But my wife and i are legally married. The church ceremony is for her family.

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
I presume you have applied online. If you have not yet submitted the application then you can amend it, otherwise you should be able to cancel and do it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But i hope the fact that am going for my church wedding ceremony won't hamper my application? Because am not allowed to marry on this kind of visa.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
It is unusual because it is simply a religious ceremony but you are already married. You are allowed to enter under the family visa for the purpose of visiting your spouse.

You could apply for a marriage visit visa to be safe:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/marriage-cp/

A documents checklist can be found here:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

This might be the better option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank u so so much. Can i make a hotel reservation for my stay for my wedding period or it has to be my wife's address. She has been having troubles formalizing her tenancy agreement becos it was transferred to her from her late Mum. Would a hotel accommodation suffice for a suitable accommodation for me. Becos i saw something like that there.

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
You can if you wish to do so but obviously available funds need to be shown so that this can be seen to be affordable (or the booking if already paid for). If you are already married then an ECO might question why you are not staying with your wife so be prepared with an answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if am applying for the family visitor visa, should my wife also send me a letter of invitation? And if so, should this letter be one addressed to me or to the embassy?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Yes - please refer to the advice given earlier where Zi outlined what should be in the letter from your wife. The letter can be addressed the the High Commission in Bulgaria.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does it matter if the letter of invitation is hand written or typed?

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't really matter but typed would be usual to ensure it can be read easily with an original signature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my wife wasn't able to get the letter from the organization that manages the property where she lives. After her mum passed away, they were supposed to transfer it to her but because they haven't finalized the process, as a matter of company policy, they cannot issue any form of letter to state that she lives there. This is so sad because i have already filled my visa form and paid the required fee. My appointment for biometrics is for Friday, next 2moro.

Am so worried because we dont have any evidence to show proof of where she lives.

What do i do??????

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
She has no bills - no mobile telephone bill, no other bills in her name, her bank statements are not at that address? There must be something to show where she lives.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has been paying the rent for the property since early this year. She has asked the property firm to send her payment receipts of payments which are in her name. Her payslips and old and current work contracts have the same address. Would the embassy accept scanned copies. I can print out in full colored. It cannot be sent by mail cos of time.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
You should provide original documents, not scanned copies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Every other document is in the original except the payment receipts which is in to be sent via email.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
If they have taken payments then they can provide a letter. I cannot really add anything to the advice given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, am at the verge of loosing/canceling my appointment for Friday and the visa fee because of this property document that was refused my wife. Please would a hotel accommodation for the duration of my stay make sense even though i already put down her house address as the place i would stay. or is there any way around this accommodation document thing?

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Just go with what you have and the letter from her. It would seem odd for you to not be staying with your wife. Her letter can simply explain the situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But isn't that too much of a risk....?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
That is your choice. I cannot tell you what to do. I have already advised regarding the aspects that should be evidenced and the way they should be evidenced. Apparently your wife has no bills or bank statements of any kind for the address where she has been living, so you can only go with what you have. It isn't as if there is a family to consider - if your wife lives in one room then there is sufficient room for her husband. To visit a woman you are married to and say you are going to stay in a hotel would raise at least as many questions regarding the genuine nature of the relationship as the receipts only being supplied by email and no other bills or evidence of address being supplied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her family lawyer wants to prepare another tenancy agreement for us with another address. But i fear that that would complicate my application. Even if i fill another visa form, the embassy already has my application.

I have told them that that will complicate things if i fill another form with another address as my wife's address. Reason being that i feel it is risky to send 2 different applications into 1 embassy with different address. I declined the idea.

Hope i made sense and hope i did the right thing?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
With respect, surely your wife lives at one address. She should have some official documents to that address after having lived there for some time. At the very least this could include her bank statements. In addition, the people who are providing receipts for her having paid money to live there should certainly be able to provide an official letter confirming this. I do not understand why a different address would come into this? How many addresses does she live at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's the most ANNOYING part. The receipt providers have refused to issue some sort of letter stating that she's been the one paying the rent for the property, saying that its against their policy... probably because ownership of the house has not yet been transferred to her. But they know she's been living there and has been the one paying the rent and maintaining the house ever since her mum died. It's so sad and so annoying. She moved in there with her mum after she took ill and eventually died of cancer. She has since lived in that house since that time being sometime around January this year. Prior to that time, she had an address somewhere else where she lived and probably that would be the address on her bank statements and also she used her brother's house as a billing address because she wasn't sure where she would be moving to. At her request (my wife), they eventually sent to her via email, the payment receipts of the rents she has been paying but to our greatest SHOCK, the receipts still bore her late mother's name.

Now i have filled and submitted my visa application forms with that house address. When a lawyer friend of her family heard of the situation, he said i should be told not to go to the embassy without anything to show where my wife lives and said we should give him about 5 - 7 days to get us another tenancy agreement that i could apply with. But i was not comfortable with the idea for reasons i have already explained to you here. But contracts of her past and current place of work have the address on it, her payments slips have the address on it, the past phone bills of the land phone has the address on it. And she said that there are records on her bank statements that she has been paying the rent there.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Payslips have THE address - WHICH address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her mother's house address. The same house i have been talking about, that property owners won't issue a letter for. The same house address i used for my family visitor's visa application.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, been awaiting your response after answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Still awaiting response for my last response tp your question.

Thanks.
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
Yet again, it's not really a good idea or helpful to relist when most of the UK will be asleep...

If work contracts, payslips and bills have the address on it then why are these not shown? You said there was nothing in her name to confirm her address.

I'm not sure how much more advice I can give here without simply repeating previous advice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I meant that the house is not in her name but in her late mother's name. No document or letter from the property owners to show this. But work contracts,, payslips and some bills have her name with the address on it.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
If she has bills and payslips in her name showing the address then supply these as evidence of her address - this is what I advised some time ago and you said that the only items available were emailed receipts for payments made by your wife.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am sorry. U sound like am wearing u out.

So she should indicate in her letter that the address on the work contract, payslips etc are evidence of her accommodation?

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
She should provide evidence of the address and suitable evidence can include bills, which you have now stated that she can supply. The letter does not need to state that she has bills - the bills are simply supplied as official confirmation of her address.

Don't worry about asking further questions but please do read the advice carefully as this was already covered. If you feel inclined to provide a tip then the system does allow it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my wife now has a new passport that bears her new last name as one married to me. When applying for my UK family visa, should i also include a copy of the old passport or just the new one would do?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
The new one should be fine if the name matches other evidence - if not then include both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay.... thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
I have closed the question as I believe that it has now been answered. You are welcome to come back if you do have further questions and I wish you the best of luck with the application.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hello, my UK family visitor's visa was denied few days ago and my church wedding in the UK is meant to be this weekend. Am completely shattered.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
My wife is travelling from London to the UK embassy in Warsaw, Poland tomorrow (the issuing center) to see what can be done before our wedding day being this Saturday, 5th October. I am also going to join her in Warsaw tomorrow. I was denied on the basis of insufficient evidence that i would return. They said the letter from my school didn't state that i was a continuing student and i didnt get a letter from my employer that i was going on vacation and would be returning to my job. I have a freelance agreement at the place i worked and i renew the contract every month. As such, i wont be able to get such letters from my employers but i attached copies of my monthly contract and tax records. but they seemed not to be convinced. By morning, i am going to pay my school fees in full for 1 semester as is required of me and get a letter from my school to show that i am fully registered and will be coming back to continue my studies.

My wife is UK citizen and her passport bears my name. I dont know what to expect at the embassy in Warsaw when we get there. What should i do? what shud we say?

Please i need your help.

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 11 months ago.
Sorry to hear the bad news - you must be terribly upset.

Unfortunately this was something I warned about previously, as quoted below:

"As you are a student it will be a good idea for you to get something from your educational establishment to confirm the course on which you are enrolled and to confirm when you are due to continue your studies. The break in studies should obviously fit in with the period you will state as being required for your visit visa. If you are also working and this is in accordance with the terms of your visa then you should also get something from your employer to confirm when you are due back at work. If you have any financial commitments in Bulgaria, such as a fixed property rental period, then you should also evidence this. The idea is to show sufficient commitments that the balance of probability is that you will want to leave the UK and return to Bulgaria."

I have simply quoted this so that there is no confusion as we had extensive discussions and also to remind you exactly what is required as this could be helpful to you.

If you or your wife are able to speak with someone in Warsaw then you need to make sure you have further evidence if it is available and simply try to convince them. Be honest, calm but insistent. If they can see that an error has been made then there is a chance that they might reverse their decision - I have known it happen. Are you going to Warsaw with an appointment to see someone or are you going there simply to try and get someone to discuss the situation?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No we don't have an appointment with anyone as this happened all of a sudden and we just decided today to go there tomorrow. She's UK citizen and we believe that she would be given audience for this reason as citizen are treated preference. Should i be worried about this?

Expert:  Howard replied 11 months ago.
There is a strong possibility that they may refuse to see either of you. I would suggest that a lot of charm is used - be persistent but polite and get there early. There is always a chance but they are under no obligation to discuss this with you.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck - let me know how it goes.

If you are unsuccessful then you will need to apply again but with the evidence required to demonstrate reasons for leaving the UK.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay... thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my wife and I went to Warsaw, Poland. She stated her case very calmly but firmly. She stood her ground and she was attended to. To cut the long story short, i was given a 6 month family visitor visa and as i speak, i am in London right now. We had our church wedding 2 days ago and i am so happy and so relieved.

Thank you so much guys. Keep up the good work.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Howard replied 10 months ago.
I am very pleased to hear the good news - it is sometimes surprising what can be achieved with persistence and calm persuasion.

Congratulations and I hope you have a great day. Just make sure you leave within the terms of the visa! ;-)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi, am going to Nigeria to apply for my spouse visa. At the moment am filling the forms. The section for sponsor details is a bit confusing. Are the questions there for me or for my wife who is acting as my sponsor? In the part they asked about my relationship with my sponsor, there is no option available to choose "wife", "husband" or "spouse". What they have there is uncle, aunty, brother, sister, cousin etc and lastly, "other relative". What do i do? Is "other relative" the right choice? For a spouse/settlement visa, i feel the options should be more precise. Please kindly assist.

Thanks

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
I know, it is a ridiculous process but it has only been live for a couple of weeks or so - just choose 'other relative'. I have done quite a lot of these and that is the only option you can choose. Rather odd given that it you will have stated that you are applying for a Spouse visa at the beginning of the online process but I expect they will eventually correct it.

Don't forget to complete the paper Appendix form for the Financial Requirement.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks Howard. I sure will. Just glad cos i thot i probably did something wrong.

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
Entirely understandable - you would logically expect husband or wife to be available options.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yea.. so the sponsor details section, is it for me or my wife or both of us?

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
Your wife is the sponsor and her details should be in that section.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. I do hope something is done about this new form.

I have gotten to the last of the application which is "additional information". Won't i be asked when we met and for how long we've known each other, my wife's income etc?

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
As I said earlier, you need to complete the Appendix form as well:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf4a2.pdf
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hello, how much balance would be reasonable for my wife to have in her account when i apply for my spouse visa? A friend of mine whose husband is British citizen said when she applied for hers, her husband had a balance of 10,000 pounds in his account. Should my wife have that much in her account and also what if we borrow a huge amount into her account and print out the statement and return the money to the owner, will the UKBA normally call the banks to confirm the balance or they go by the balance they see in the account statement?

Thanks.

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
If you are meeting the Financial Requirement from her earnings then the balance of her account is irrelevant.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Oh yes... her annual earnings is almost twice the amount of what is required in the Financial Requirement by the UKBA just that a lot of expenses have been made and not enough substantial cash in her account. We were worried because her balance is very low

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Howard replied 8 months ago.
Don't worry - it has no relevance to the application.

If you have further questions about the application then please feel free to either ask a new question from my profile page or rate again on this question and ask here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hello Howard, i was very satisfied with your counsel during the time of my application from Sofia, Bulgaria. Now i am applying for my Spouse visa and am about leaving to my country, Nigeria to do that. Am still in the UK though on a family visitor visa.

I tried to rate your page so i can start another process with you but u have my old card details. How do i use another card?

Please reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I sent a question to Howard almost an hour ago but no response from him yet.
Expert:  Howard replied 7 months ago.
I would presume that you would update card details from your member area and then start a new question. I will ask customer service to advise you.

If you would like my assistance the please ask from my profile page and start the question with 'For Howard ONLY'. Please be aware that I will sometimes have meetings or other commitments that will prevent an instant answer.