Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hi I would like to know if I am eligible for UK nationality

Hi I would like to know if I am eligible for UK nationality as I was born in Zanzibar when it was a British protectorate while both my parents were national under the Sultan of Zanzibar. My father was in Kenyan and later had to take up the Kenyan nationality as he was born in the coastal strip. My mum unfortunately was not born in there but in Arabia but whose father was a zanzibari and acquired the the protectorate passport. But during the revolution in zanzibar she could not acquire any citizenship and was stateless as she lived in Kenya and could not go back to zanzibar. She was not aware of the legal issue and wanted to quitely live in Kenya. However she later obtained a Gulf citizenship as my grandfather was a zanzibari but had roots from the Gulf.

I myself had married a British wife in 1980 and later divorced her in 1984. We had 2 children who I am not allowed to contact as the children and their mother had insisted.

Can any of these allow me to have dual nationality
The information you have been given is correct - acquiring nationality or Citizenship of another country is sufficient to justify withdrawal of recognition as a British Protected Person.

You could only come to the UK as the parent of a British child if you could demonstrate an ongoing relationship, which you have indicated is not the case.

Unfortunately there is no basis for dual nationality based on the information provided.

Please remember to rate the service provided.