How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to apply for citizenship next month, but i just

This answer was rated:

I am about to apply for citizenship next month, but i just received a notice from police for contravening red light offence. Will that affect my citizenship?

Is this a fixed penalty notice requiring you to pay a fine?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is a fixed penalty notice


Thanks. I have a quick meeting now. I will be able to provide a full answer in 15 minutes or so.

Thanks for your patience.


Thanks for your patience.

If you otherwise meet the good character requirements and you have no other convictions then you will be fine provided that you pay the fine immediately so that the matter does not proceed to court.

Fixed Penalty Notices which are paid upon demand and do not proceed to court are not regarded as criminal convictions.

However, if you did not pay the fine and the matter proceeded to court and you were convicted then it would be regarded as a conviction. This would mean that your application for naturalisation would probably be refused if you made the application within three years of the date of the conviction.

It is crucial that you pay the fine immediately. If you do this and the police record the fine as having been paid then your application will still be successful providing that you otherwise met the eligibility criteria for naturalisation, which I assume you do.

I would contact the police directly by telephone and ask which is the most appropriate way to pay in order for you to receive an acknowledgement of receipt from them for the payment. This is evidence that you paid the FPN and that it should not be regarded as a conviction.

In your application for naturalisation you can answer no to the question of whether you have any criminal convictions. However, in your covering letter I would disclose the fact that you receive a FPN but paid it immediately and provide evidence of the payment that you made to the police.

If you do this, you will be fine and will still be naturalised as a UK citizen.

Good luck, but I would be careful not to incur any further FPNS because any more could present a problem for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions