Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hello, I am reading the requirements for English citizenship

I am reading the requirements for English citizenship and am confused. I don't think there is a path open to me, but there are places where is seems the law can be interpreted both ways.

I am--

Born in 1968
My mother is a natural born English Citizen.
I was born in the U.S., and she was married to my father, a U.S. citizen.

Do I have a path to dual citizenship or a British passport? thanks
Firstly, it is British Citizenship that you are referring to (not English Citizenship) and your mother was a British Citizen. It is always worth ensuring that you use the correct terminology to avoid potential confusion.

There are two primary forms of Citizenship - other than by descent, meaning born in the UK, and by descent for pretty much everything else, including being born outside the UK to British parents.

You would not usually be able to immediately get a British Passport but you can register as a British Citizen and thereafter get a passport:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/britishmother/

This is related to the fact that prior to 1983 only the father could pass down nationality and not the mother. This imbalance was corrected and would be the basis for your right to be registered as a British Citizen. Essentially, you are a British Citizen by descent and you simply need to register.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great---thanks,,,one other quick one. Can you recommend any services that help with the application?

I cannot recommend specific companies here as the site rules do not permit me to do so. I recommend that you discuss this with a few companies and ensure that they are registered with the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) in the UK. If you discuss this with a solicitor then make sure that the solicitor is suitably registered and has extensive specialist experience.

You should find it to be quite a straightforward application.