UK Immigration Law
Ask an UK Immigration Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
I am in the UK, but plan to travel to Sri Lanka as a speaker at a conference on rebuilding post conflict and post tsunami. I also need to travel to australia from UK in early september for a week to judge a competition...and return to UK.
Envisaged making applications from UK prior to departure.
Entered the UK as a visitor expecting the cancer patient to die on schedule;a paradox that his continuing life has become an administrative problem. The soon to be partner has sprinted off to Malta (as an Australian) and returned on Euro passport, last month. Civil ceremony was arranged ASAP.
I am here in brief windows but partner will remain to further any applications and tend to the patient.
Civil partner is now Maltese, with dual Auz passport.
They travelled to the Uk with me and assisted with the caring role, though with continuing residency in mind, job seeking is now underway, given that as an EEA national with insurance card etc working is viable and legal.
No firm offers to table for an application though. If it is vital to be employed for 'qualification processes a less than ideal job could be quickly sought.
Timothy, (available on skype or phone).
Thanks. I appreciate it is towards the unusual side of spectrum.
I imagine the story sounds all a bit unlikely especially since in the last fifteen minutes the partner has been employed; starts Monday. I am not making this up.
I am unsure of how this 'justanswer' is parcelled but using whatever means would like to ask:
1. Do some lawyers keep 'slots' warm for croydon appointments so that folk can drop in ahead of the 2 month advance time for the self booked....thinking that if the 'same day' service could be accessed ahead of time and our civil partnership could be assessed in person (it is very genuine although unusual)....we may have a chance.
2. If we are in the 'process' of applying for a resident card does it count for anything at the border to have paperwork in hand?
3. Is there any human rights dimension that can be brought into play....I really do need to look after this guy with cancer?
4. Does anything change if I have a job offer? Although I have genuinely been here as a tourist, colleagues have come forward keen to give me a part time job if it was legal and I was around. It would need to be part time to give me carer hours.
5. Given the unusual circumstances, would I be well served to engage a lawyer in an active role? I am sure you cannot recommend but I wonder if you could nominate someone in Clerkenwell area?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).